BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Long-lasting Tinted Moisturizer for Acne-prone and oily skin


As we all know, summer really isn't the greatest time of year to wear a full face of makeup. You sweat and there's humidity (in Iowa, anyway!) and you end up with a gross, runny mess all over your face and running down your neck. So what does a girl have to do to get some coverage WITHOUT the mess?



There's tinted moisturizer! But tinted moisturizer is usually pretty sheer when it comes to coverage so it basically only helps even out the minor skin issues. And a lot of tinted moisturizers disappear after an hour or so. What do you do if you want more coverage? If you want something long lasting? Without the runny mess?

I couldn't find a product that would do any of that for me. And with my face being a mess right now (Why? Click here!), I need some extra coverage. Unfortunately, the weather here is hot, humid, and sweaty. I also lead an active lifestyle -I go on a walk everyday with my daughter and I go to the gym everyday, though I don't wear makeup to the gym. My family and I go on outings often - to the beach, to the park, grilling, etc. We're outside in the hot, icky, sweatiness a lot in the summer! So I need something that will cover yet also not turn into a gross mess AND last a while. So I made my own - and it helps with the acne (which I hope is only temporary - ugh!). The best part is that it actually works and it's super cheap to concoct!


Here's what you need:
1. Moisturizer. For acne, I used Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer with Salicylic Acid. If you don't need the acne help or can't find this moisturizer, try something mattifying. I like mark. Matte Chance moisturizer. Make sure that whatever moisturizer you use, it's fast absorbing, non-oily, and pretty thin. Don't try doing this with some ultra thick face butter stuff. It won't work right. If you NEED something ultra moisturizing, try Olay Complete All-day Moisture Lotion with SPF 15 or Olay Classic Care Beauty Fluid.

2. A long lasting foundation! Preferably one you have tested and know that it truly is long lasting. Now is not the time to be experimenting with foundation. If you're mixing any products together, you should always know that they work separately - if you don't like your concoction then you can still use the products because you like them and know they work. I used Avon's Perfectwear Extralasting Foundation in Ivory (I'm super pale). It's the foundation that I use all year but it's a little heavy for summer. It does last when I sweat but it's just too heavy and has too much coverage for this time of year.

Now, first you should make up a batch just big enough to cover your face so that you can test it and decide if you like it. You don't want to make up a huge amount and hate it. So here's what you do:

1. Wash your face extremely well with a deep cleanser. If you have a face brush such as the Clarisonic, good for you! That well definitely help with absorption. However, using a wash cloth is fine. You can also use a soft facial cleansing brush (they're cheap!) as well. There are also alternatives to the Clarisonic out there that are cheaper such as the iSkin Pore Perfecting System. Pat your face dry and we're ready to go!

2. Put a small amount of foundation in the palm of your hand - about HALF the amount you would normally use to cover your face.

3. Then put the same amount of moisturizer on your palm. Be careful in the amounts of moisturizer vs. foundation. If you add too much foundation, you'll have too much coverage and you won't really have a tinted moisturizer - you'll have a moisturizing foundation. If you add too much moisturizer, your foundation will be too sheer and probably won't cover much. I use equal amounts and it works fine for me. If you want a little more coverage, add a few drops of foundation. If it's a little heavy for you, add a touch of moisturizer.

4. Mix the moisturizer and foundation in your palm with your finger until you can't distinguish the difference between the two.

5. Use your fingers to gently spread the tinted moisturizer across your skin. If you have the right color, it will sink in and be virtually undetectable. Blend well. If you have areas that need extra coverage (under eye circles, scars, acne) just pat on a bit of the tint on the area until it sinks in to your skin.

6. You might want to use a powder over top to get rid of any shine and to help set it. My favorite to use is a translucent mineral powder because it's finer and has less pigment than traditional translucent powder. If you use a powder with pigment, you're counteracting what you just did with the whole tinted moisturizer.

After you've created your tint, you can mix up a small batch of it in a small container. I wouldn't make up more than a couple week's worth as it can go bad and separate if you make too much and don't use it up in time. I don't know the exact time frame in which the product will go bad as it all depends on which brands and products you use. You should be fine for at least a couple weeks though. It's best to store the mixture in an opaque container so that light can't get through and break the product up. You should also store the mixture away from light and humidity so that bacteria don't grow in it. A lot of women find that storing cosmetics in the fridge helps.

I hope you enjoyed this article! Feel free to post any suggestions and let me know how this recipe worked for you! Did you like it? Not so much? Or did you come up with your own recipe?

0 comments:

Email Subscriptions

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Join My Community!

Join My Community at MyBloglog!